Friday, August 26, 2011

Trysts with Divinity

Rarely. Only rarely does a place give me a divine calm.

I find it at the Chavassery mosque when it rains and am seated next to the open door/window sill. The traditional architecture allows multiple doors that brings in the breeze and keeps the place peaceful. There are 4 doors on either side of the mosque and these are usually open. One side faces the kulam and the other the graves of a bygone era. People are not buried within the mosque complex anymore. Unlike Christian cemeteries, a Muslim graveyard is more with nature. Only a white piece of cloth separates the body from the mud and its creatures.

Back to Fridays, my favourite place is the 3rd window/door that faces the graves. From that window, an arm's reach away is my grandfather.

4 comments:

Tina Thomas said...

hey..where is this place?chavassery mosque?haven't heard of it yet.Your description makes me feel I should visit this place once:)

Shynil Hashim said...

Perhaps the only time the name Chavassery was presented to Malayalees was in the movie Varavelppu. There is a dialogue where Shankaradi advises Mohanlal to invest in a coconut plantation at Chavassery.

It's my native 32 kms away from Kannur. To the rest of the world it is just another place. Nothing exotic about it. Pakshe kaakekku thann kunju ponkunju ennanalo.

Gastro Mallu said...

Ah... Your blog reminds me of the mosque in my hometown. The Odathila Palli. The old mosques and their architecture is something that lightens my heart. Especially the serene interiors and the lush green field that cover the cemetery.

Shynil Hashim said...

Odathil Palli just amazes me. The architecture makes u wonder if its a mosque or a temple. Adoption of local architecture then is reminiscent of the harmony that existed.